If you had a relatively smooth childhood, in which you generally behaved and your parents took care of you until you were able to stand on your own two feet, then it’s probably hard to relate to people whose experience was totally different.
Likewise, if you’re a parent who cannot imagine cutting your child off or asking them to fend for themselves while they’re still underage, then this concept probably seems foreign to you, too.
For these 11 teenagers, though, it was all too real – and here’s how they coped with being out on their own.
11. Only time will tell who was right.
I genuinely hope it works out for the best, and I bet their parents do, too.
10. I’m curious about their reasons.
Finishing school probably isn’t in the cards right now.
9. I feel like this is a tricky one.
We need a lot more information to take sides.
8. I’d say sorority dues are the least of her troubles.
But her priorities are pretty telling.
7. I’m sure that’s true in some ways.
It also comes with significant risks that I hope they’re mitigating.
6. Well, they wanted to stand on their own two feet.
Just perhaps not immediately.
5. I bet it feels pretty good to stand on your own two feet.
Maybe in the end they did you a favor.
4. This seems a bit harsh for a first punishment.
Unless she’s actually making money off the photos, of course.
3. I just hate this whole story.
It seems as if they should be able to work something out.
2. That seems like it would be worth financing.
So they can get a job and start paying it back.
1. I feel like there are other options she could consider.
Sounds as if she’s just trying to get a rise out of them.
I honestly cannot imagine and hope all of these kids are going to be ok.
If you found yourself on your own at a young age, talk to us about it in the comments – we’d love to hear your perspective on surviving, too.