I can guarantee you that at least 70% of my knowledge is the direct result of myriad pop culture references. For example, despite the fact that I neither know nor care anything about Iowa, I can still name eight different cities in Iowa without blinking (Debuke, Des Moines, Davenport, Marshalltown, Mason City, Keokuk, Aimes, Clearlake!) thanks to that one time I did a production of The Music Man when I was 18.
The following six Tumblr stories are just further examples of how important the arts really are, and how much knowledge we truly gain from being obsessed with movies, theatre, music, tv… you know, all the finer things in life.
1. Sondheim solves everything.
2. I have the same level of math skills.
3. Hockey, eh?
4. I’ve learned so much from Star Trek you have no idea
5. How does the teacher not know this song??
6. “Joseph’s brothers weren’t to pleased with what they saw…”
You know, on second thought…
…you really ought to give Iowa… A TRYYYY!